Over the weekend my boyfriend and I were on netflix and we were looking for something interesting to watch. We picked a bunch of videos we thought would be entertaining and I picked "the science of sex appeal". It was amazing how our bodies (without our knowledge) were picking our mate. Sure it sounds a bit farfetched that your body was interacting with the outside world on a purely biological level without your consent. But as I kept watching it surly blew my mind.
The actual video is pretty long and they go through the many different ways your body is selecting a mate. It ranged from symmetry of a face to how the skin look to smell. Smell one of your basic senses was so keen on determining wether we would go for a person or turn then down. As I read the text I realized how similar it related to the video we watched. I actually felt intelligent for the first time since I understood what it meant.
The whole "family members will avoid mating with each other because they smell similar" thing was tested in an experiment and it turned out to be true. Since you do not want to have the same level of immunity (lower chances of your offspring living) you mate with someone who is of a different type and that can be decided by smell. My boyfriend and I discussed this immunity and he was confused why I liked the way he smelled since he always gets sick (no lie he is horrible when it comes to most sicknesses like the cold, stomach aches, etc) and I thought for a moment. The only thing I have would be allergies (horrible allergies) other than that I'm healthy and he has none, so maybe thats why I didn't get turned down by his scent. We agreed our children (if we ever have any) will have superpowers.
The video below is a clip from the actual documentary it is dealing with the scent part of mate selection the whole thing is on netflix if you're interested.
haha very interesting it most definitely cleared up some things that were a little blurry in the chapter. Your children are going to have super sense of smell as their superpower.
ReplyDeleteThat video was very informative. I understand how scent is involved with selecting a mate a bit better now after watching that. I always told my boyfriend since the time we first met that his natural scent was really appealing me and that it had something to do with why I was so attracted to him but i didn't know why. Now I do. I am really glad that the test revealed how we use smell so we will not end up dating a relative.
ReplyDeleteI was pretty surprised that the experimenter in the video actually got women to smell mens sweaty T-shirts, cause I know I wouldn't. It makes you wonder though; usually sweat leaves out an odor, but very few don't. So the ones that smell practically odorless, does that mean they can be our possible mate?
ReplyDelete