This really got my attention while reading the text. I had no idea that an abundance of testosterone could affect the development of the fetus. Sure I knew about smoking, drinking, drugs, but hormones? That was shocking. I guess I didn't think about hormones because they are supposed to be regulated by your body. I thought it was that way for everyone I was wrong.
This disease affects both physical and mental aspects of the female (I decided to use female because that is the gender that is used in the text). Its interesting how the female mental state is more in tuned with that of a males because of the high levels of testosterone they were exposed to.
Girls with CAH are more likely to choose a more "boyish" toy like a car or gun than girls without CAH. They are more "boyish" in their actions as well. They can be considered tomboys since they like to tumble and wrestle. While girls not affected act like typical girls (tea parties, keeping clean, dresses, etc). CAH girls also differ in adolescents as they are more into "manly" hobbies and interests like sports. In adulthood they have more of a probably of occupying male dominated fields.
Very informative blog Joanna. I am glad you found this interesting because I did too. I too was clueless to the fact that hormones could affect the body especially a fetus. Something very interesting that I am going to look into is my little cousin who is very tomboyish. I wonder if my aunt and uncle consider checking her testosterone levels.
ReplyDelete